a week of new skills
I’ve been busy doing lots of new things this past week. As well as learning to dye with food colouring, I’ve been doing a lot of spinning and refining my technique. Overdyeing yarn that I don’t much care for has helped rejuvenate my stash a bit. I forgot to take a ‘before’ photo of this sock yarn. It was a sludgy green and quite uninspiring. Look at it now!
As for the spinning. Well. I had always pre-drafted the roving before this week. It was fine at first, but recently I had found it intensely frustrating when it didn’t spin up to be just how I wanted it. For all the preparation I had little control over what I was making while I was making it. Turns out that I was working with slightly suspect information and that you don’t have to pre-draft! Well, I was shocked. And relieved. Then I spent much of my free time this week learning to draft properly. It is such freedom. I used these videos in which drafting (and beginning to spin in general) was explained very well. According to my sources, you are best to avoid this one though.
This is what I’ve been spinning:
As well as these, I received some gorgeous fibre from Caerthan on Ravelry which I will be spinning up very soon. The batt, pictured bottom has as its base fleece from his own alpacas.
I might even upload a skein of IngridNation handspun to The Yarn Museum soon.